Friday, July 2, 2010

Tradition or superstition

One of the first things that all of us girls hear about when we are little and talking about weddings is that on the day of your wedding you must have something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. So while we are running around getting all of our other things for our wedding we are trying to find all these things as well.

But here is the thing.......i don’t really care about all those things. And the more time I put into thinking about what I can borrow from someone for my wedding day the more I want to just say forget the whole thing I don’t really care. Then I run into a problem. I become scared. Becuz I keep thinking that if I don’t do these things them my marriage will be doomed.

So I decided that I wanted to know where this whole things started so that I can figure out if it is worth it or not. The first thing that I discovered is that for many years people have missed out the end of the tradition. The saying is actually: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and a sixpence in her shoe. Now I know that a sixpence hasn’t been in circulation in the UK since 1980. So maybe that is why they dropped that part of it.

Here is a quick run down of what everything stands for.

Something Old: keeps the bride connected to her family. So traditionally her something old would be related to that

Something new: means optimism and hope for the future

Something borrowed: they say if you borrow something from a happily married woman then it is like they are sharing some of their happiness with you.

Something blue: blue apparently represents love, modesty, fidelity, good luck, purity and loyalty.

And a sixpence in her shoe: was suppose to bring financial security to the new couple.

Now that I know all this, I feel like I have to do it becuz if I didn’t it would almost be like I am tempting the fate of my marriage if I didn’t continue with the tradition. The question is, has this become more of a superstition then a tradition?

Just a thought

No comments:

Post a Comment